Figures show officers in Staffordshire and Cheshire reported up to 238 accidents involving vehicles in their police station car parks between April, 2008 and December, 2010.
They reveal Staffordshire Police recorded 147 accidents and Cheshire Police dealt with 91 crashes over the same period.
- A police vehicle crashing into a post causing £2,149 damage
- A police vehicle crashing into a wall causing £1,450 damage
- A police vehicle hitting a car park height restriction barrier causing £1,069 damage
- A police vehicle reversing into a car causing £1,192 damage.
The combined estimated damage for the forces is £115,784, though the final figures may be adjusted by insurers.
Staffordshire’s £83,902 estimate included injuries or damage to vehicles or property within the car parks, as well as 32 more accidents which involved slips, trips and falls. Now some officers have been told to improve their driving standards.
Ok…this is what happens when you have a bump at work.
1. A supervisor attends the collision and starts an investigation.
2. You are given a breath test.
3. You are suspended from driving pending the result.
4. The supervision (Superintendant etc) then decides if you are to blame from a criminal point of view and may end up with a file going to CPS.
5. You get to drive again.
A lot of people comment about Police having more accidents than, say the Water Fairies or the Body snatchers.
Well, we will wont we?
1.Fire/Ambo are REACTIVE only-you don’t see fire engines driving around looking for fires.
We patrol, 24-7. We drive around, sometimes for many hours. In fact I suspect that if we were tachographed-we would be taken off the road-especially on nights. That is probably why we don’t have them or black boxes.
2. Because they are reactive (and assessed on the speed of response) they have custom built ‘launch’ facilities. The vehicles are only used for a job. They are parked up ready to be used and they go directly onto the road- blues and twos all of the way.
We park up at the rear of the station (when you get a space from the admin staff )… we transfer prisoners around, we go to take statements…
We move around more.
This means we have more collisions.